Pit Señor! Sinulog 2016 is now underway! It’s time to sadsad – that’s “dance” in Bisaya! – to Cebu, the Queen City of the South! This highly anticipated, week-long celebration of the child Jesus, the Señor Santo Niño, culminates in a day-long parade full of colorful costumes and nonstop dancing.
This year’s Sinulog Grand Parade will be held on January 17 2016, Sunday. Make sure you’re on a plane en route to Cebu before then! The Sinulog Grand Parade Carousel Kick-Off starts 9:00am. Before that, there are three masses being celebrated in thanksgiving for the Sinulog and the Señor Santo Niño: the first is a Mañaniya Mass at the Basilica del Sto. Niño at 4:00am, then second is the Pontifical Mass with His Eminence Jose S. Palma, Archbishop of Cebu, and the third is the Holy Mass at the Cebu City Sports Center. Though the Sinulog Parade is scheduled to end with the Grand Finale and Fireworks Display at 7:00pm at the Cebu Sports Center, the fun doesn’t stop there! Rock the night away from 7:30pm onwards with live bands at Fuente Osmeña Circle.
The Sinulog DJ Mixing Grand Finals Night will also be held at Fuente Osmeña Circle from 9:00pm to 2:00am. If you’re in the mood for more fireworks, head to SM Cebu at 9:00pm and keep your eyes and ears for the Pyromusical Show. Phew, what a day! And to think, this is just one day of the Sinulog week! There are a lof of other events happening during the week. For the full list of Sinulog events, please click here.
To fully enjoy in the Sinulog experience, here are some tips to help you survive almost 24 hours non-stop revelry:
1. Invest in comfortable, reliable footwear. Almost all of Cebu’s major streets will be closed off for the Sinulog, so prepare to do a lot of walking.
2. Wear comfortable clothes. Have a small bag with you for your water bottle – see tip #3! – and an extra shirt and towel.
3. Drink plenty of water. You’ll be out in the sun all day, and you wouldn’t want dehydration to put a stop to your fun!
4. Slather on the sunblock. Sinulog is fun, sunburns are not.
5. Bring small foldable umbrella, just in case it rains or gets too hot.
6. Avoid bringing too much money, wearing too much jewelry, or bringing too many gadgets. Keep your valuables close and be aware of pickpockets posing as partygoers.
7. Check and double-check your camera, battery, and memory cards. Sinulog presents you with photo ops galore! 8. HAVE FUN! Go get your face painted and get into the spirit of Sinulog! Viva Pit Señor!
Written by: Trisha D.